Sunday 18 March 2012

In response to "Playing God..."

I think the idea that gamers are already playing Christ figures is very interesting, although I'd have to disagree with you. I think we need to remember that the story of Christ is but one instance of the monomyth, or basic story line shared historically by many hero figures transculturally. While I would agree that the Superman myth shares many characteristics with Christ, I would echo the ideas from Deacy's article-- there is something qualitatively quite different from the Christ story that is not found in the Superman story. I think the perfect divinity of Christ, through whom all things were made, is a pretty significant difference to be mindful of when comparing the saving actions of both heroes.

On the other hand, I too am skeptical that there is anything terrible about video game representations of Christ. All representations are limited, however I'd echo the sentiment that video game representations and those in film are not incredibly different. In fact, video games as an artistic medium, present new opportunities for engaging with the narrative of Christ due to the interactivity and ability to explore the environment of said story. I remember playing the Lord of the Rings game for Playstation2 when I was much younger. To see the fantasy world of Tolkein's books before my eyes, and to interact with it, to explore unfamiliar places, and in to some way have an effect upon it, was engaging and exciting much more than merely watching the movies. Thus I think that there is a very real missiological function that might be capitalized upon in video games.


No comments:

Post a Comment